Thanksgiving Chex Mix and Sugar Cone Cornucopias
Today is short and sweet because tomorrow is BIG!!! Tomorrow this here little blog turns 1 and I’m giving away presents! So today you’ll get the basics while I put the finishing touches on the party. So let’s get to it.
I found this idea over at Simple Girl At Home. She has some really good recipes and ideas and her photography is beautiful! Check her out when you have time.
Its simple Chex Mix mixed with candy corn and pumpkins for a Thanksgiving look but just swap out those sweets for seasonal M&Ms and you have a versatile go to snack for every holiday.
Mix the butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar in a large sauce pan. Heat for about 8 – 9 minutes or until it boils. Let boil for 1 minute. Add in baking soda and watch out. Something really, really cool happens. It’s a science experiment. The caramel mixture gets puffy and lighter in color. Stir well and then pour over your cereal.
Once your cereal is fully covered, put onto a baking sheet and put in the oven for about 45 minutes making sure to stir every 10 – 15 minutes.
When done baking, cool on a nonstick mat for about 10 – 15 minutes. Break up the cereal and store in an airtight container until ready to use. Or in my case, until your kids eat it all.
My kids haven’t had this type of Chex Mix very often and they loved it. Since I was showing Jen and Bill how to make this on TV this morning, the kids told me I needed to make more so I’d have enough to show on TV.
I’m smarter than they think – I had already taken out what I needed.
For the sugar cone cornucopia, just melt some chocolate, dip the end of the cone in it, roll in your favorite sprinkles and let set. It’s that simple.
Come back tomorrow. You don’t want to miss my Top 10 recipes from the past year and a chance to win 1 of 3 gift packs I’ve put together for you.
This post contains affilitate links.
Caramelized Chex Snack Mix
Use any type of additional candy that you would like in this recipe for the holiday you are celebrating.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
6 cups Wheat Chex cereal
9 cups Corn Chex cereal
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Optional candy corn and pumpkins for Thanksgiving
1. Heat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Measure the cereal into a large container.
3. In a 3 or 4 quart saucepan stir together brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. (WARNING: Resist the urge to use a smaller pan - the baking soda makes it bubble up!)
4. Cook and stir 8-9 minutes over medium heat until mixture heats to boiling. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda.
5. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
6. Pour onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a nonstick mat.
7. Bake 40-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until coating is set. Cool 5 minutes; stir in candies (optional). Spread on parchment paper or nonstick mat to cool, about 10 minutes. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from Simple Girl At Home Blogspot
What a cute idea and so festive!
that’s a cute idea for a party