Stop Lookin'. Get Cookin'.

Serving up simple food, inspiring ideas and connecting along the way.

Powerful Message about Bullying

There is no recipe attached to this post.  Just a powerful message that Jennifer Livingston, from WKBT’s News 8 This Morning delivered on their morning news cast this morning.

I’ve known Jennifer for over 4 years now from my monthly TV segment that I am so fortunate to do with her and Bill on their show.  Throughout these 4 years I can say that Jennifer has become my friend.  She is the type of person I could easily go to lunch with and talk for hours about “stuff”.  She is sweet, kind, smart, funny, and talented.  She is beautiful on the inside and out.

I’ve been trying all day to find the right words to put down here that would explain what I’m feeling.  As a person who struggles with my weight too, I know how hurtful those words can be.

My mind has a hard time figuring out people who use their spoken or written words to purposely hurt people.  We are all guilty of it at some point in our life.  I’m guilty of it as well and am not proud of it.

Jennifer, being the class act that she is, speaks the words that so many that are being bullied needed to hear.  No matter what our size, our color, our disability, etc., we all have feelings.

If you haven’t seen it yet, please take 5 minutes to watch it.  It’s a powerful message.

Jennifer Livingston’s Message About Bullying

Pin It

7 Responses to “Powerful Message about Bullying”

1. #
    Sue W. — October 2, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Hear Hear!

• Kendra replied: — October 3rd, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

🙂

2. #
    Jean Huegel — October 3, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Thanks for sharing Kendra – how awesome of her to address this head on!

• Kendra replied: — October 3rd, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

I agree!

3. #
    David — October 7, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Obesity is not a disability. For most it is the consequence of eating unhealthy food without enough excercise…..but I guess it is easier to distract people with buzz words like bullying so they can continue to get their sugarbuzz. ….here is another buzz word: accountability. As in, Do you hold yourself accountable for your role in the obesity problem?

• Kendra replied: — October 7th, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

I appreciate your thoughts David. I have always thought that any food in moderation is fine. We all make our own choices of what to feed our bodies and I don’t blame anyone but myself when I gain weight. The editorial that Jennifer did was more about the gentleman saying she isn’t a good roll model because of her weight. I personally feel there are many attributes that make a person a good role model and higher on that list than weight is what is on the inside.

4. #
    David — October 7, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Kendra,

I agree that there is more to a person than weight, but that argument is a dangerous distraction. That logic does not apply to a person of power and influence. Jennifer received an unpleasant but private email critique that upset her. But is upsetting someone always the same as bullying them?

Is saying “hey, what you are doing is negatively affecting other people”…a form of bullying?

The fact is obesity is killing us. The problem is systemic. It’s not as simple as eat less exercise more. Our food is modified which make weight loss an uphill battle for many. It’s not so much about personal choice as it is about environment. Finding organic healthy foods is now a full time and expensive endeavor. And the traditional brands are all packed with the same pound packing carbs. Today it takes much less effort to put on weight and is harder to shed them.

Which means most kids and adults cannot eat sugarbuzz stuff without severely impacting their health. Constantly introducing pure butter/sugar/chocolate treats to families is like a car company introducing new low mileage gas guzzling models week after week. May have been acceptable years ago, but now the damage is exponentially greater. And the more successful this company is in spreading the product the worse off the health of everyone.

But here is the biggest fact:
    Women are the leaders for the 21st century. In the areas of income, education and in the workforce, women are dominating. From corner offices and throughout management women are in the early stages of controlling the important aspects of American business & policy. And I believe women have a unique set of skills and abilities that are perfectly suited to handle many of our modern problems. Environment, health and even ending warfare.

But with that position comes responsibility. Responsibility to face tough facts and make even tougher choices. Choices that may involve replacing the breakfast time Sugarbuzz segment with something a little healthier to start the day.