Quick Summer Meals Contest – Pasta Pomodoro
Oh boy! We’ve had a crazy busy summer and I have to tell you that these Quick Summer Meals have come in handy.
This week’s winner is Linda with her Pasta Pomodoro and you know what – EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE ate it without complaint. What a relief not to hear at the dinner table “Mom, what is this? What’s that red stuff? Does it taste good?”
Nope. Not one complaint so it is one I will make again.
This pasta dish was easy to make and had a nice flavor to it. I think when I make it again though I will add some leftover chicken to it or serve it with some homemade meatballs. We served it with a Caesar salad and some garlic bread for a complete meal. Sounds good doesn’t it?
As this week’s winner, Linda has won Chef’s Planet’s All Purpose Cruet. I’ve always wanted one and they look fancy so that means it makes your food taste better if you pour olive oil or balsamic vinegar or syrup out of it, right?
There are only two weeks left of Quick Summer Meals but you have until the end of today (August 2) to submit your recipe to be included in the contest. Remember, even if your recipe isn’t chosen as a weekly winner, you still have a chance to win a Chef’s Planet Baking Set which includes an Ovenliner, a Universal Nonstick Bakeliner and an Ovenglove.
Have you tried any of the Quick Summer Meals yet? If yes, which one(s)?
And Linda – if you see this – email me again. Your email keeps bouncing back to me.
Yield: 6 - 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
• 16 ounces angel hair pasta
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/2 medium onion, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced and seeded
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 10 3/4 ounces low sodium chicken broth
• freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
• 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. (Be sure to add some salt to the water.) Add pasta and cook for 8 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. While the pasta is cooking, pour olive oil in a large deep skillet over high heat. Sauté onions and garlic until lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium-high and add tomatoes, vinegar and chicken broth; simmer for about 8 minutes.
3. Stir in black pepper, basil and cooked pasta, tossing thoroughly with sauce. Simmer for about 5 more minutes and serve topped with grated cheese.