Wraps are one of my favorite sandwiches. So when Terry of Cottage Grove, MN submitted this Versatile Chicken Wrap recipe to the Quick Summer Meals Contest I was doing the happy dance. Luckily for me (and you) this is a written blog and not a video blog. I do my happy dance to embarrass my kids. Does that tell you anything about what it looks like?
The thing I love about wraps is the variety of meats, cheeses and vegetables you can put inside. Everyone can have pretty much a wrap that they will love and eat. Plus, tortilla wraps themselves come in a variety of flavors. I mostly like the plain ole’ white or whole wheat ones best so that the flavor of the tortillia doesn’t overpower the yumminess inside.
Terry’s recipe calls for some basics but she also included optional ideas. She said her son likes his with bacon (duh!!) and shredded cheese. Oh, a kid after my own heart. I ALWAYS have cheese on my wraps. I’m from Wisconsin. I think it’s a crime not to put cheese on almost anything. So I played it safe with law enforcement and added some shredded cheddar. I also add the avocado like she suggested and liked it.
For winning this week’s Quick Summer Meals Contest, Terry hit the jackpot. Chef’s Planet’s BBQ Kit was the winning prize this week and I’m so jealous. If you do any camping (especially tent camping), this Kit would be perfect to take along. Everything is in one place. Not at the bottom of the tub or hiding under the pile of wet towels.
It’s still not too late to enter the Quick Summer Meals Contest. I would LOVE to have a few more entries. Plus – remember – even if your recipe isn’t chosen as a weekly winner, you still have a random chance to win Chef’s Planet’s Bakeware Set. So before we “wrap” up this contest, get your recipe in. Ha, ha! I crack myself up sometimes! Get it – wrap. My kids are rolling their eyes at me right now.
Versatile Chicken Wrap
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Use whatever you have leftover in the fridge or pick up a rotisserie chicken on your way home from work. Add the veggies and extras that you like. This is one meal everyone in the house can pretty much have what they want for dinner.
• 4 sandwich wraps or tortillas (I use the 10 inch size)
• 3/4 cup sour cream OR ranch dressing – your choice
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• Salt & Pepper to season
• 3 cups baby spinach, romaine lettuce or ice berg lettuce – whatever you have on hand
• 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or whatever meat you have leftover in the refrigerator – ham, turkey, bacon, pork, roast beef, etc.
• 1 large tomato, sliced thin
• 1 small red onion, sliced thin - optional
• 1 avocado, sliced thin – optional
• 1 – 15 ounce can drained and rinsed black beans - optional
• Shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a bowl, whisk together sour cream or ranch dressing and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
2. Spread mixture on wrap/tortilla – leave a border of an inch or so from the edge so it doesn’t squish out when you wrap it up.
3. In center of wraps, layer ¼ of each greens, shredded chicken or meat, black beans, tomato, onion, and avocado. Top with shredded cheese.
4. Fold the sides in/wrap like a burrito.
Other optional adds – jalapenos, salsa, green or red peppers, cucumbers, black olives
Terry from Cottage Grove, MN