Desserts for the Deserving – Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip and Pretzel Cookies
Desserts for the Deserving.
I like to bake and I like to share my goods with others. It’s kind of a therapy for me. Not so much the baking part but the look on the recipients face when they eat something I’ve made or a quick thank you email or text about how much it was appreciated. I don’t do it for the pats on the back. I do it because I know little things like a plate of cookies or bars can turn a bad day into a good day. It can be dessert for dinner or breakfast the next day. It can be a reminder that someone was thinking of you. So when I saw this group on Facebook, I knew I wanted to be a part of it.
Desserts for the Deserving was established in 2011 with the sole purpose of bringing people joy. It is a nonprofit movement where bloggers, bakers, crafters, and all forms of creative people offer up time and resources to bring strangers joy.
The thing is – you don’t have to be a part of this group or any group to give someone joy. You can do it on your own. Do you know someone
- Who has had a bad run of luck?
- Who has been out of a job?
- Who is dealing with health issues?
- Who takes care of others without complaint?
- Who just plain likes desserts?
- Who just happens to live next door?
A special lady in CA, who is going through a rough time right now and was nominated by someone who thought she was pretty darn deserving, received a package from me with some of these cookies in it along with another recipe I’ll be sharing soon.
I found this recipe in Cookie Cravings by Maria Lichty of Two Peas and Their Pod. I liked her Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe so much I knew this one would be good too and it didn’t disappoint.
Chocolate Chips + Peanut Butter + Pretzels = YUM!!!
Go ahead, try this recipe. Wrap up a dozen and deliver it to a deserving person. There’s no better or cheaper therapy than that.
Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip and Pretzel Cookies
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
Cook Time: 10 - 11 minutes
• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 1 cup creamy peanut butter
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup light brown sugar
• 1 large egg
• 1 tablespoon milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
• 3/4 cup peanut butter chips
• 1 cup chopped pretzels
• Sea salt, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat baking mat. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix until combined. Add the milk and the vanilla extract and mix again.
5. Add the flour mixture and beat until flour disappears. Stir in the chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and pretzels.
6. Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle each cookie with sea salt.
7. Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until cookies are slightly brown on the edges.
8. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 2-3 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe from Cookie Cravings by Maria Litchy of Two Peas and Their Pod