Quick Summer Meals – Crock Pot Egg Bake and some Random Thoughts
Random Thoughts for Today
- We have a new driver in the house. YIKES! Car insurance companies love 16th birthdays. I think car insurance companies should throw 16th birthday parties for the new driver because parents certainly can’t afford to throw a party and insure their car.
- How do you get white ball pants clean? My son and his team played in POURING rain on Saturday and then much to all of the mothers’ dismay, got their pants full of mud. How dare those boys?! I tried the Cascade in hot water idea. Didn’t work. I scrubbed (which I don’t like to do) and it didn’t work. Luckily for me, none of the other moms could get their sons’ pants super duper white either. So glad I have under achiever laundry moms to hang with. I fit right in.
- Swimming lessons have started for the summer. As I sat and watched all of the kids in the pool, I was just amazed at how efficiently run our program is. There were no screaming kids, they all looked like they were having fun and the instructors were doing an excellent job of instructing. Just grateful for an indoor pool with a great swimming lesson program.
- Excited to spend some time with these crazy ladies this weekend! I know – those t-shirts are very inappropriate, but notice that the good girls aren’t wearing them. I love my sisters and cousins. Can’t wait to see the whole extended family this weekend.
- Facebook – Come on people – I’m stuck at 399 Facebook fans. Can anyone and I mean anyone of you put me over into the 400’s?
Enough babble – onto the REAL reason you came today. The 2nd winner of the Quick Summer Meals Contest is Jody from Prior Lake, MN. As soon as she sent me this recipe I knew it would be a winner! I love breakfast but who says breakfast has to be eaten just in the morning. NOT ME!!! So make this for any time of the day.
So this Crock Pot Egg Bake – yes, you read that correctly – I said crock pot – is just what you need for a quick summer meal. I struggle sometimes for what to make for breakfast when we have guests and this is the perfect solution. It took me about 20 minutes the night before to prep all of the food, put it in the crock pot and turn it on low. When we woke up the next morning – breakfast was served! Loved it.
This recipe is also very versatile. Depending on your taste buds, you can add or subtract anything you like. I only had red peppers and green onions in the house so that is what I used. Jody’s recipe called for green peppers and regular onions. I don’t think it made a difference. Jody said she makes this and puts it in a small crock pot. I only have a large one and I think because of the size of my pot, the egg bake came out a little dry. Next time, I would just add more milk to help keep it moist. I also have those picky eaters in the house so I layered my ingredients and didn’t put the peppers and onions all over it. Little did they know that the flavors were still there but not the “look” of the peppers and onions.
So Jody, you are this week’s winner of the Quick Summer Meals Contest and you will receive this great product from Chef’s Planet – their Mesh Crisper. I love this product. You will never make French fries again on just a plain old baking sheet. This Mesh Crisper gets both sides of whatever you are cooking on it – crispy. Use it for French fries, chicken nuggets, garlic bread. I even put a smaller pizza on it. Love, love, love it!
I’d love to have more entries for the Quick Summer Meals Contest so get them out, send them to me and save some time in the kitchen this summer!
Crock Pot Egg Bake
Yield: 6 - 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours in a crock pot
• 1 pound browned pork sausage
• 1 pound crumbled fried bacon
• 1/2 cup diced green peppers
• 1/2 cup diced onion
• 2 cups shredded co-jack cheese
• 12 eggs
• 1/4 cup milk - if using a large crock pot, use 1/2 cup milk
1. Brown pork sausage and drain off fat.
2. Fry up the bacon and drain off fat.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk together.
4. Toss in rest of the ingredients and mix well.
5. Pour into a crock pot- cook on low over night and wake up to breakfast!
I use my mini- crock pot and it makes about 6 servings. Add more or less eggs and ingredients to your liking and serving size.
For added pizzaz- I use Jimmy Deans HOT pork sausage and add diced jalapenos and green chilis & shredded pepper jack cheese- YUM!!!
Jody from Prior Lake, MN