Stop Lookin'. Get Cookin'.

Serving up simple food, inspiring ideas and connecting along the way.

Whipped Chocolate Ganache

There are lots of geniuses in this world.  People that are so super smart and/or invented a very useful/popular product; it just blows my mind at times.  Take for instance, Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.  He’s your typical super smart genius.  He knows absolutely everything about science and Star Trek you would ever care to know.   He lacks many other skills but that is beside the point.  He’s a genius!

Then there is the creator of the onesie extender.  They were only the most valuable baby item I used for my long torso kids when they were little ones.  It extended the life of a onesie by a good 2 months and the length by a good 2 inches. Do you know how much money that saved us?  Genius!

And then comes the geniuses of the food world.  Oh there are so many but the inventor of Cheetos really should have a street named after him.  That orange staining finger food that is oh so bad for you but tastes oh so good and is so addicting.  A bag of those chips don’t stand a chance to survive more than a day in our house.  Genius!

You know what though – I was a genius yesterday!  Yes, I’m tooting my own horn here.  I was a genius because I made this whipped chocolate ganache while the kids were in school.  And do you know why that makes me a genius?  Because I didn’t have to share the bowl, the beater or the spoon with any of them.  I got to lick all 3 myself.  I’m a genius I tell you.  Had they been home, one would have gotten the bowl, another the beater, and the other the spoon.   I would have been left empty handed.  So, I’ve made a note to myself to ALWAYS make the really good stuff when they are not around.  Genuis!

Hmmm – the more I think about it, is that the work of a genius or the work of a selfish chocoholic?

Don’t answer that!

Pin It

Whipped Chocolate Ganache

Yield: 24 piped cupcakes

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Ingredients:

• 2 cups (12 ounces) chocolate chips
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• Optional - 2 – 3 tablespoons of the flavoring of your choice – vanilla, brandy, rum, etc.

Directions:

1. Heat heavy cream in a heavy pan on medium heat until it comes to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until the mixture is smooth.
3. Stir in optional flavoring.
4. Let chocolate mixture cool in a refrigerator for 1 hour.
5. When the mixture is at a “spoonable” consistency, place in mixing bowl.
6. Whip mixture with either the whisk or beater attachment of your mixer for 5 minutes on medium speed or until mixture creates stiff peaks.
7. Place whipped ganache into a piping bag outfitted with a 1M, 2D or #12 Tip.
8. Pipe ganache onto cupcakes.

Store at room temperature or in a fridge for up to 2 days.

Pin It

13 Responses to “Whipped Chocolate Ganache”

1. #
    Sue W. — January 19, 2012 at 7:20 am

To me, you are always a genius! You are a food wizard AND you maintain/operate a blog. Seriously – many, many people can’t figure that out. So, all bow to Kendra! P.S. Please get to work on that machine to instantly transport these cupcakes to me. Then again, if that works…I’ll always be there to share the bowl, the beater, and the spoon.

• Kendra replied: — January 19th, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

Sue – if you are here to share the bowl, beater and spoon, there certainly won’t be anything left for me. :) Would love to share it with you though.

2. #
    Joan — January 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Need to bake cupcakes tonight so I can try the frosting!

• Kendra replied: — January 19th, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

Joan – get busy!

3. #
    Jody Rodine — January 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I have heard the term “ganache” tossed around in my favorite shows like Cupcake Wars, Chopped and Iron Chef and never knew what it was. Now I know- well kind of- why is it called ganache?

• Kendra replied: — January 19th, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

Jody – ganache is just a fancy french way of saying melted chocolate and cream mixed together. Now you will know exactly what they are talking about on the shows. Ganache can be served on cakes, cupcakes and other pastries without whipping it though too. I’ll share a recipe sometime that calls for ganache without whipping it.

4. #
    Corinne — January 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I love the idea of whipped ganche. I’ve often made ganache as a dessert topping, such as for a Yule Log, but find it rather heavy. Whipping the ganache sounds just as tasty but lighter! Thanks for the idea.

• Kendra replied: — January 19th, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

Corinne – this has a nice, light taste to it. It’s still rich but not heavy. I hope you like it.

5. #
    movita — January 22, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I am always searching for the perfect chocolate topping for my cupcakes, and this seems like a real contender!!

6. #
    Betty — January 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I hate to break it to you but Sheldon Cooper has many other talents. He is a phenomenal dancer of classic dances such as the waltz and an excellent baker of artisan breads. Other than that little flub ;o), this post is AWESOME. Can’t wait to whip some ganache. Genius.

• Kendra replied: — February 1st, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Yes, Sheldon has LOTS of other talents. One of them is he makes me laugh every week!

7. #
    Andrea — May 4, 2012 at 10:05 am

Would this work well as a cupcake filling? I have a child with egg and tree nut allergies. I’m trying a revised eggless vanilla cupcake recipe next week, and am making a homemade vanilla buttercream (with real vanilla bean scrapings) for him. I’d love to add a little surprise in the middle, and am wondering if this will hold up. Due to the buttercream frosting, I’ll likely refrigerate the cupcakes…thoughts? I intend to scoop out just a small cone shaped bit from the center of each cupcake after cooling (will likely make some eggless cake balls with the remaining crumbles).

• Kendra replied: — May 4th, 2012 @ 10:21 am

Hi Andrea – I’ve never used it as a filling but I’m pretty sure it will hold up and it would taste great inside a cake. That extra bonus sounds delicious. If you keep them refrigerated they should be fine. If you have a filling tip #230 you don’t have to go through the work of scooping out part of the cupcake. You can just fill a pastry bag up and stick the #230 tip into the cupcake and fill. The filling then just pushes the cake to the sides a little bit. I find it easier to do it this way than scooping out part of the cupcake but that works too.