Sometimes you just want easy. I’m a big believer in box mixes. Homemade stuff tastes really good, but some days you just want the ease of a box mix. There’s no shame in it. If there was, many companies would be out of business.
So to help keep these companies in business, every now and then I’ll buy a box dessert mix, test it out, and let you know how they rate. First up is the Reese’s Dessert Bar Mix. My girls LOVE chocolate and peanut butter so I was hopeful that this would be worth the $4.25 I spent on the mix.
This particular mix is a no bake recipe that comes with the pan in the box already. The only other ingredients you need are some softened butter and water. The directions are simple to follow and since it only requires a microwave, I feel it’s something even an 8 – 10 year old could make on their own or with little supervision.
You first make the chocolate crust, then the peanut butter filling and then top it off with a layer of chocolate. From start to finish it took me about 10 minutes to make and another 30 minutes to chill in the refrigerator. You can easily get 12 – 15 servings out of the pan depending on the size of bars you cut.
The verdict – the pan was empty a day or two later. This means it was good.
- It had a nice creamy peanut butter taste with just the right amount of chocolate accenting it.
- It was easy to make which is always a bonus.
- It was fast to make – from start to serving it can be done in about 45 minutes.
- And for about $5 (that’s $.34/serving) it’s not a bad price.
We’d buy it again but next time, I’d add some chopped up peanut butter cups to the top just for a little extra kick.
Have you tried this mix before?
*This is not a sponsored post, I just like to try out different mixes and this was today’s choice.*
Reese's Dessert Bar Mix
Yield: 12 - 15
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes Chill Time
Total Time: 45 minutes
Reese’s Dessert Bar Mix
6 tablespoons of butter, softened
1 tablespoon of water
• 1 tablespoon water
• 2 tablespoons butter, softened
• Package of Crust Mix
• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
• Package of Filling Mix
1. Place topping pouch in bowl of hot water (do not microwave pouch); set aside.
2. Measure water and 2 tablespoons soften butter in medium microwaveable bowl; add Crust Mix (do not stir). Microwave uncovered on High for 45 seconds. Stir with fork until mix is moistened. Press firmly and evenly in ungreased pan (included).
3. Melt 1/4 cup butter in medium microwavable bowl on High about 15 seconds. Stir in Filling Mix and Peanut Butter until well mixed. Press evenly on crust.
4. Squeeze topping pouch 10 seconds. Cut off top of pouch. Squeeze and spread topping evenly over filling.
Refrigerate 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate leftovers up to 2 days.
Reese’s Dessert Bar Mix – no bake recipe by Betty Crocker