I’m going to let you in on a little secret. I’m not perfect!
I know to most of you that comes as a HUGE surprise. But really, I’m just an ordinary, average housewife/mom that makes mistakes in the kitchen (and life) just like the rest of you. So, I want you to take note on something very important with this recipe so that you won’t make the same mistake I made.
You know how sometimes when you have a list about a mile long and you are trying to multi-task and do a few of those things at the same time and sometimes you mess up. Well, that didn’t happen here.
I had nothing else on my mind except making this brownie torte. Why I didn’t spray my aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray or treat it with Pan Goop – I don’t know. I’ve made brownies about a thousand times and have always treated the pan. But today I forgot. And you know what – turns out, you really do need to treat the foil in order for the brownies to come off nice and easily.
So, take note people. Learn from my mistake. PRETREAT the foil/pan!!! It will make your life easier. Because I was such an airhead, I then had to head to the store to buy another brownie mix. Luckily for me, I hadn’t gone to the store yet. It was on that To-Do List and normally, my luck would have had me messing up my recipe just AFTER I got home from the store. Maybe since it’s a new year, my luck has changed.
And just so you know, the messed up pan of brownies WILL NOT go to waste. I have big plans for this lesson. I will cut it up into pieces, put it in the freezer and pull it out in a few weeks to make a brownie trifle. How’s that for salvaging a BIG mistake. And the best part is, I’ll share the recipe with you.
Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Torte
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 - 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
A brownie torte layered with chocolate frosting and peanut butter cups. To save money, buy peanut butter cups after each holiday and stick them in the freezer. You take the wrappers off anyway and no one else will know you got them for half price.
• 1 package brownie mix batter, made according to the box directions.
• 1 tub of chocolate frosting
• 1 cup of chopped peanut butter cups (approximately 20 mini cups)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with aluminum foil and have it extend about 2 inches over the sides.
3. SPRAY foil with cooking spray or grease with Pan Goop.
4. Make brownies as directed on package for a 9 x 13 inch pan. Cool completely.
5. Remove foil from pan by lifting foil then peel foil away from brownie. Cut brownie in half lengthwise and place one half on serving plate.
6. Microwave frosting for about 25 seconds. Stir well. Pour half of frosting on the brownie that is on the plate. Put about half of the peanut butter cups on top of the frosting.
7. Place other half of brownie on top of the first layer. Frost with remaining frosting and top with remaining peanut butter cups.
Store loosely covered.
Adapted from a Betty Crocker Recipe