Dipped Oreo Snowmen
Since it is January 6 and we don’t have ANY snow on the ground and none in the forecast, I decided to make a few things “snow” related for the blog that you’ll see in the next couple of weeks. Who would have thought that the only real snowman we may see this whole winter had to be made way back in the beginning of November – and that snow didn’t last long. The photo below is of our youngest and her proud half melted snowman. Aren’t they cute?!
For those of you who don’t like snow – imagine me sticking my tongue out at you right now. I know it’s not polite but hey – we live in Wisconsin, we’re supposed to have snow this time of year, not green grass that looks like it needs mowing. Plus, my family misses it and I know we are not alone!!!
Oh I don’t miss driving on slippery roads or shoveling the white stuff. I just miss the snow on the ground where you don’t have to shovel or drive. I mean, if someone wanted to become really, really rich, they should invent an inexpensive way to put something on roads, sidewalks and driveways that repels snow. There has to be some engineer out there working on that already, dontcha think?
So it is with these Snowmen Oreos that I hope the snowmaker above will bless us with a good snowstorm to make things white so we can make a “real” snowman. But please don’t bring it on a day I have to drive or a day the kids need to be in school or a day when we have a basketball tournament. And please only put it in areas where we don’t have to drive, walk or shovel.
Snowman Dipped Oreo Cookies
Yield: 30 dipped cookies
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: Set Time - 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
• 1 pound White Candy Wafers
• 1 tablespoon of Paramount Crystals or 1 teaspoon of Vegetable Oil
• 30 Oreos or Store brand equivalent
• Black Pearls for eyes
• Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds in Orange for nose
• Red Berries or a Black Edible Marker for mouth
• Sanding Sugar of choice for hat
• Snowflake for hat tassel
1. Melt candy wafers on 50% power in microwave for 1 ½ - 2 minutes. Stir. Repeat if necessary until wafers are smooth.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of paramount crystals or 1 teaspoon of oil to thin chocolate out. Stir until blended in. If needed, put back in microwave for 15 seconds on 50% power.
3. Dip Oreo in chocolate and place on a nonstick mat or parchment paper to set.
4. Before chocolate sets too much, add accents of eyes, nose and mouth.
5. Once set, redip the head area where your hat will go.
6. Quickly add sanding sugar to this area and let set again.
7. With a toothpick, add a little bit of wet chocolate to the back of the Snowflake and place on the hat.
8. Once cookie has set, add mouth with Edible Marker if you didn’t add one before.